21 July, 2008

Post - Uni Angst


This isn't just a normal erratic life, this is a specially selected colossaly erratic M & S post-uni life. Like my driving, life is rather erratic at the moment. What a corny metaphor I know but trust me, it is true. I must rant or compliment those M & S adverts sometime soon but now isn't the place or time. Now we're going to focus on the downhill slump into a shark-inhabited quayside: POST-UNI life. See the thing about post-uni life is that it isn't as bad as 'life' in general for lots of reason - for example, you go from a busy tight-schedule - a work and play oriented lifestlye to being a sloth. A couch potato. Far too lazy to even click a button to change the channel.


Ok, so perhaps I am exaggerating a little.

There is just far too much to do. And far too many expectations.

Boo hoo.

Take job hunting for starters. It would help if you knew for definite what you wanted to do. I have some ideas - become Prime Minister, astronaut, Cinderella ( I think this is an occupation) and so on. Nothing set in stone. Experience is the most important factor in all jobs I've come across. Now I've got my share of that with a proven track record that I can adapt and learn quickly. But there are those, like many of my peers, with limited or no experience mainly because they've been focusing on their studies. I don't see a problem with that. If employers won't give NEW graduates the opportunity to gain experience - well, in that case stuff the education system, you may as well secure yourself a job as a school leaver and work yourself up from there. But - there are jobs which require you to have a degree or a higher qualification. In which case we are stuck in a vicous circle where students are busy studying to gain qualifications to secure a job and perhaps doiing the odd job here and there - but only to graduate with no experience - but they can't get into that job without that qualification in the first place. What a vicious circle it is.


Post-uni life has its quirks - one being this huge portal of free time. I know, I know, I seem to be contradicting myself - there is so much to do, how can there be any free time. But there are days in this parallel world which is spent doing nothing at all. No job hunting, no commitments, no appointments, no one to see, no one to save, no one to mourn - hang on, scrap that. You get the point. All this free time means more time to think about life, how on the larger scale it is moving too fast and about to colllide with something, but on the simple day-to-day level it is moving too slow. And of course the devil makes work for idle thumbs.

'Go out, do something' I hear you say but with my bulimic bank balance it is best to stay indoors, that way I won't spend what I don't have. And everytime I seem to save a little, put a little in, it just vomits itself out.


I'm often reminded of a line in the incredibly-teen-romantic movie called Chasing Liberty starring THE gorgeous Matthew Goode. He plays some kind of secret agent looking after the first daughter (some girls just have all the luck). Anyway, there is she ranting about all the restrictions on her life, how the back garden of the White House isn't big enough, and how there aren't enough Gucci bags in the world (I maybe lying here). 'I want real life where real things happen' she remarks to our hunky hero. Who responds - witty as ever - 'REAL LIFE IS OVERRATED. IT'S A LOT OF ODD SMELLS AND DISAPPOINTMENT'. Bingo!

       

No comments: